Saturday, November 28, 2015

From Plans To Action

“A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Proverbs 16:9

Well, it has been a bit of a crazy ride thus far. For the past year and a half I have been planning the way forward. But now, as I move into motion, the Lord will be directing my steps. October was a whirlwind of activity as I journeyed around visiting ministry partners and churches while also sorting out all the details that needed to happen so that I could leave Canada on November 2nd. Then during the first couple of weeks of November I travelled through 4 countries on 4 different continents and for a while I didn’t know if I was coming or going. Now I am writing to you from the town of Nhulunbuy in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory of Australia.

As I mentioned, October was one event after another. On October 2nd and 3rd I was able to go with my sister to Calgary to visit some ministry partners. On the 2nd I was fortunate to have dinner with a couple who have previously served as missionaries in Papua New Guinea. It was very valuable to hear of their experiences as I head towards PNG. As I have progressed on this journey it has been interesting to see all the people that God has brought into my path who have had previous connections to PNG. On the evening of the 2nd my Aunt was gracious enough to host a dessert night where I was able to share about MAF with a group of friends. It was a good time of sharing and prayer. Then I was able to meet with some old friends on the 3rd and update them about all that has been happening in my journey with MAF.

On the 4th I was able to go back to the Evangelical Missionary Church in Castor to update them on my recent and future activities. It was a good time of reconnecting with those I had met in the spring. Then, between running around to update paperwork and vaccinations, I was able to spend some time with family over Thanksgiving weekend. The following weekend, on the 18th, I returned to the Missionary Church in Athabasca to bring them up to date about all that has been going on, and say farewell to all my friends and ministry partners who are there. I was glad that I was able to make that trip as I will not be seeing anyone there for at least two years.

The last week of October seemed to blend itself into one long day. On the 25th I was at my home church in Brownfield for my final Sunday in Canada. That was a good service which included a time of commissioning and prayer in preparation for sending me out to PNG. Then we had a nice fellowship lunch afterwards where I was able to speak with people individually. During the week I was very busy with finishing the visa applications for PNG while also sorting out what to take with me to PNG and what to leave in Canada. I finally finished packing on Saturday morning, a few hours before I needed to leave for the airport.

MAF International Orientation Group
November 11th, 2015
Then the grand adventure finally kicked into motion. On Saturday, October the 31st I left Canada and flew from Edmonton to Vancouver and landed in London, England on the 1st of November. The next day I started orientation classes with MAF International. The classes ran until the 11th. It was a good learning experience as all the staff and attendees involved came from many different backgrounds and countries.

On November 12th I left England to continue on my journey towards Papua New Guinea, but first I’ve stopped in Australia for the next 3 months. After a quick rest stop in Cairns I continued onto Gove on the north coast. I am currently living in the town of Nhulunbuy while working at the MAF hangar which is located at the Gove airport. Since I don’t have enough time to jump through all the hoops to get my Australian pilot’s license I am unable to fly during my time in Gove, but I am able to help out with all the various jobs that need doing around the hangar. I will be here until January 22nd. At which time I will be travelling back to Cairns for the 4 week flight standardization course. The flight standardization course will consist of classroom and flight exercises so that I can learn MAF procedures which will enable me to more easily integrate into the team in PNG.

So, looking forward: once the standardization is complete towards the end of February, I will be jumping over to Port Moresby in PNG. This will be so I that I can complete the PNG visa application process and also to write some exams for my PNG pilot’s license. At the end of February I will travel from Port Moresby to Mount Hagen to begin program orientation.

News from the Field: PNG Medevac
Story and Photo by Mandy Glass

Sunday afternoon, 4th October. We had just decided it was time to make a cup of coffee and then make our way to an afternoon home church when the phone rang. It was the chief pilot. A medevac. A woman had birthing difficulties and was losing a lot of blood. 20 minutes later, we were at the airport – without coffee. Jeff Baloiloi, an Internship Pilot who also lives here in Kagamuga, helped us to unlock the base facilities and refuel the aircraft. While Mathias and I flew to Tsendiap, he remained on the radio and organised an ambulance from Mt Hagen Hospital.

Loading the patient onto the airplane at Tsendiap
October 4th, 2015
Once they heard the Airvan land in the village, a little troop in Tsendiap made its way from the local health post to carry the woman to the airstrip – two wooden beams and a sewn sheet served as a stretcher. Leah was really suffering. You could see it clearly. People were busy rubbing her legs and fanning her with their hands. Her baby girl, born in the early hours of the morning, was peacefully sleeping in a bilum, but Leah herself was not in good shape.

Before taking off from Mt Hagen, Mathias had put a new type of stretcher into the aircraft. Leah was transferred onto this, and it made it very easy for everyone to lift her into the plane. Her husband, who is also the head of the local health post, accompanied her, as did their seven-year-old son and a friend who was caring for the newborn girl. When we arrived in Hagen, a vehicle from the Western Highlands Provincial Health Authority was already waiting outside the MAF base to take Leah to the Mt Hagen General Hospital.

By the end of this Sunday we had not been to church, but to worship God isn’t restricted to a building or a gathering of believers; worshipping God means doing what he is asking you to do, and being a testimony of His love for all people and his desire to save people’s lives, physically and spiritually.
----------------------------

With God’s provision my next newsletter will come to you after I have landed in Papua New Guinea!

A great big THANK YOU: I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been praying for me, encouraging me and financially supporting my ministry with MAF. Without you none of this would be possible! Thank you for partnering with me to reach the support required to be able to serve in PNG.

-Ryan

More Info:
www.mafc.org
http://maf-papuanewguinea.org/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/281213732064928/

No comments:

Post a Comment